Affiliate Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which means we earn a commission when you buy through our link (at no additional cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read our full Disclosure Policy.
Making vegetarian gravy can be difficult to cook up something that is tasty and still tastes similar to its meaty counterpart, but this vegetarian gravy recipe will show you how to make a very tasty animal-friendly gravy with (optional) tofu instead of chicken and served over rice or with your favorite Tofurkey for Thanksgiving or other holidays. Here is the best vegetarian gravy recipe for picky eaters.
The Best Vegetarian Gravy Recipe for Picky Eaters!
It’s a very simple recipe and doesn’t have any mushrooms or onions or other potentially objectionable vegetables, so this dish is good for kids or picky eaters too. ? I’m personally not a fan of mushroom gravies and I really don’t like onions, so to some, this recipe may seem plain, but it’s also free of yucky vegetables. ? This one is really a “throw in whatever spices you want” kind of recipe, and you can definitely make it your own. The basic idea is that you make a roux with butter and flour, add vegetable broth, and then season it with whatever you want. ? That’s it!
This comes from the Katie school of cooking, meaning the measurements are not an exact science haha.
This post was originally on Squidoo under my username snazzify.
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: 1-2 servings
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp flour
- A few dashes salt or sea salt to taste
- Dash black pepper
- Dash ground sage
- Dash poultry seasoning (which does not actually contain poultry)
- Dash garlic powder
- About 1 cup vegetable broth
- About half a block of chopped firm tofu… you can also omit this or cut it into tiny pieces. I used big pieces almost like I was making vegetarian “chicken” and rice. If you stir the tofu, some little pieces will come off and it looks like chicken giblets. ?
- (Optional) Cooked rice, pasta, or Tofurkey to serve your gravy over
- Start by making a roux of butter and flour cooked together.
- Gradually add vegetable broth to the roux, stirring constantly until your “gravy” starts to thicken a little.
- Add spices, salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings.
- Continue stirring and adding vegetable broth until you reach the desired gravy thickness. You may have to cook it for several minutes for it to thicken up.
- Stir in chopped tofu at the end. The tofu will absorb some of the flavor of the gravy.
- Serve over your desired main course. Done!
Melt Butter in a Pan
Add Flour to the Butter
Mix Butter and Flour to Make a Roux
Add Vegetable Broth
Mix Together Until it Starts to Thicken
Add Spices to Taste
Drain Tofu, Press Water Out with Paper Towels, and Cut Up into Cubes
Add Tofu to Gravy and Stir Together